Sunday, April 02, 2006

Author: DR. MICHAEL SHOCKET

Author: Dr. Michael Shocket

Author’s website address: Michael.Shocket@btopenworld.com

Published books by the Author: Complete French Course, published by Cambridge University press; Reflections - a book of poetry published in Israel by Eked; Know Me Tomorrow, published by United Press; The Binding of Isaac, published by Authors Online.

Books in Process: Knock Knock Who's There?


Welcome Dr. Shocket,

Interview:

1. When and why did you begin writing?

At the age of twelve, following a strong urge to express my feelings--at the time privately.

2. What inspired you to write your first book?
-Text books - sheer poverty!
-Poetry - a need to explore and express my deepest feelings.
-Know me Tomorrow - as a form of therapy while housebound and caring for my invalid wife, and a tribute to my love for her.

3. How did you approach writing your first book?
It was a secret refuge from a difficult and abusive childhood in a poverty stricken environment, attending a dreadful school that was no more than a slum, placing myself in an imaginary and idealized situation. Ashamed of what I actually was, I wrote about how I'd like to be, creating an alter ego - a character modeled on the heroes of the books I was virtually devouring at the time. The public library was my refuge- an escape from reality. At school I was a poor performer in arithmetic - brilliant only at English - actually winning a national essay writing competition.

4. Who or what influenced your writing?
A wide range of reading, drama - especially English, French and German poetic, poetic drama, musical poetry - particularly the Romantics and philosophy.

5. Why do you continue to write?
After four years of widowhood I still grieve - as much as ever over the loss of my wife. I don't know if it's excessively melodramatic to say that - for me - writing is an alternative to suicide. It is certainly an escape from depression and extreme inertia. I don't write in pursuit of fame or fortune. At the advanced age of eighty-one that would be absurd!

6. What do you hope to accomplish through your writing?
Self satisffaction.

7. What has been your experience as a published writer?
So far disappointment, due entirely to the answer to the next question.

8. How do you promote your book(s)?
I don't think I'm a good author - but I know I'm a dreadful salesman.

9. What advice would you like to share with other writers?
Try not to be put off by the amazing indifference of publishers and agents.

10. Any other comments you would like to add?
I am disappointed that - apart from my text books, which did make a lot of money - I have so far reached so few readers, but on the other hand, I find comfort in the fact those few have been lavish in their praise.


Thank you Dr. Shocket for your time and sharing some of your life with us.

Interviewer: Kaye Trout - April 2, 2006 - Copyright