Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Author: J. D. GUINNESS

Author: J. D. Guinness

Author’s website address:
http://outskirtspress.com/thefamousfakes

Published books by the Author: The Famous Fakes

Books in Process: Long Story Shorts, a spoof collection of celebrity diaries, and Just Add Walter, a comic novel about an awkward Canadian family relocating to Hawaii.

Interview:

1. When and why did you begin writing?

I started writing, not fiction, but plays, in 1984; mainly so I could give myself work as an actor! Some of the titles produced were Pun: A Play On Words, 100 Celebrities in 45 Minutes, I Gotta Be Them, and The Divisible Man. For the most part, I tended to write comedy-variety shows made up of jokes, sketches, character impersonations, songs... All the things I love to do. I was also in a couple of tribute shows, Another Fine Mess (Laurel and Hardy) and My Charlie Chaplin.

I toured with these across Canada and into the States, and did other, “straight” acting in stage plays, radio, TV, and film productions as well. In fact, I met my wife K.O. in a play. She was a Mae West impersonator and even worked as Kirstie Alley’s photo double, among many other roles.

2. What inspired you to write your first book?

When K.O. and I got married (at the stroke of midnight on the Millennium; January 1st, 2000) I felt relieved that a certain desperate, yearning part of my life was now over forever, and so I wanted to commemorate the happy change somehow.

I remember thinking (as I stood on our honeymoon hotel room balcony, or lanai, as they say in Hawaii – I know, sweet!) about how much the behind-the-scenes aspects of being a character impersonator always amused me. Especially when we would curse unappreciative audiences under our breath!

Originally The Famous Fakes was going to be a play (with a different title, Porcupines in a Plastic Bag. Ugh!!). A friend claimed that it wasn’t really an original idea, because I’d lived it. I claimed it was an original idea for that exact same reason. There isn’t another story out there exactly like the Famous Fakes; someone has to tell it! And who could tell my story better than me? I think I was right.

3. How did you approach writing your first book?

At first, narrative flow was a problem because I felt the story needed to be told in flashbacks, which in the theatre always looks clunky and can be difficult to follow. I’m pretty sure it was K.O. who said, “Make it a novel, and make it hot.”

Once I changed formats, I was amazed at how easily the story flowed. I knew how it would end; it was just a matter of breaking it down into an escalating series of funny vignettes. The key here was the freedom you have in fiction: anything is possible! The whole process got me tremendously excited. I wrote for about two or three hours a night, Monday to Thursday, and I finished the first draft in about six months. It was a joy, the entire time.

Trouble was, I just couldn’t leave it alone! I adapted it from a novella to a screenplay, and then, using the material that emerged during the movie version, I adapted it yet again to the full-length novel you see now. All of which took me about five years, which I didn’t actually mind, as I think it just got better from all the care I’d lavished on the story and the characters! (Thinking things like, “What’s the Jodie character been doing all this time?” or “Why don’t I put Caitlin in this sequence?”) I was clearly learning How to Write a Novel as I went along. Moreover, I was having fun!

I’m proud of how it flows – I think it has a tremendous amount of action and incident, and yet it moves.

4. Who or what influenced your writing?

I’ve had literally dozens of influences, but I think, if pressed, I could boil it down to the five following men. They are different kinds of writers, that’s for sure, but for me they share a commitment to passion in their work, and that's what it’s all about for me.

Charlie Chaplin. I love his attention to things. He is meticulous. And of course his mimicry is just wonderful; it comes not from malice but a genuine interest in people. I can mimic just about everyone I meet, too, and I find that, not only does this entertain my family, but it’s a great way to relax, and just cope in general.

Ian Fleming’s James Bond books. Again, it’s the fascination for details (textures, smells, etc.) that’s so impressive, in addition to the often superb cliffhanging-storytelling.

Russ Meyer. He’s got a thing for women. Dynamic women with big bosoms, and desperate men with square jaws. Meyer’s crazy films are sheer entertainment for me, exactly my type of humor. He was a major influence on Famous Fakes, specifically.

Ronnie Barker. Half of England’s Two Ronnies comedy team, the big guy with the white hair and glasses (“It’s goodnight from me.” “And it’s goodnight from him.”). Barker was probably the best TV actor and writer ever. Again, with him it’s the superb mimicry, and, especially, the joke construction. I just love his stuff. Sometimes his “saucier” material comes across as a “more literate” Russ Meyer!

George Harrison. To me he was the anchor in the Beatles, a guy who put all his heart and soul in the Now. It seemed of top-most importance to him to express direct, but dignified, love and sincerity to just about everyone he met. It seems, like all the others here, the Writing and the Person were one and the same.

Taken together, these men represent, to me, mind, guts, groin, funny bone, and heart: everything I aspire to as a writer, and, by the way, as a man.

5. Why do you continue to write?

I continue to write for the sheer enjoyment of it. To me it’s easy and a pleasure. I never get writer’s block; I just do it, and then go back and fix whatever I don’t like. I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t “creating” something, whether it was a comic book, play, or now a novel. I love the work of doing it, not just the romantic, author-y posing aspect of it. I like getting my hands dirty! I mostly work in more collaborative media such as film, radio, and TV, and so books are relatively peaceful, like a solitary holiday, almost!

6. What do you hope to accomplish through your writing?

I would like to continue to entertain people with different kinds of projects, although my specialty appears to be humor.

7. What has been your experience as a published writer?

I’m assuming you mean how is the book doing? Well, it took a long time for the book to catch on, but I expected that because I’m new.

I used to worry that people may have been put off by the explicit sex, but I’d always think, “Damn it, it’s a satire, after all. I’m going to write whatever I please. In the end, I am always careful and I trust my own judgment. And anyway, joke ‘em if they can’t take a f***!”

As it turned out, Outskirts Press was the ideal place for me because it meant guaranteed publishing and creative control. To me, that happens to be every bit as good as money!

8. How do you promote your book(s)?

I promote my book through word-of-mouth and by publishing articles about it via the “List mania” and “So you’d like to…” guides on Amazon.com. By linking my book with various similarly-themed, best-selling books, magazines, and DVDs, I’m getting noticed (And yes, I really am getting noticed. I recommend it. Also, it keeps your writing muscles in shape, which is always a good thing).

9. What advice would you like to share with other writers?

I would advise other writers to do it only if you truly love it, and then never give up.

On a broader note, may I just say optimism is literally good for your health? I am seriously an optimist, I have no patience for people who seem to go through life with a sneer on their face and the refrain, “Life’s a bitch and then you die.” What a bunch of faux-cool crap.

OK, sure, life can be a mess, but these people confuse hip pessimism with intelligence, when in fact I think it’s much smarter, and a better use of your time, to feel good about yourself, first, because then you can make other people feel good. Better than enumerating all the things that are wrong!

This doesn’t mean walking around grinning like an idiot all day. This means paying attention when people talk and trying to help. I think we’re all here, really, to improve the lot of others. What else could it be?

10. Any other comments you would like to add?

I am very appreciative of the warm support I have had, not just from my family and Outskirts Press but now Kaye Trout and the Midwest Book Review, too! I think it’s wonderful that there’s a serious network out there for POD books. If independent filmmakers can be considered cool, why can’t we?

(On a different note: one of the glamour models alluded to in my book, Vikki La Motta, died the year it was published. I don’t think Ms. La Motta ever saw the tribute, but I like to think she’s reading The Famous Fakes in heaven. Now there’s a thought. A thought and perhaps a book…?)

Interviewer: Kaye Trout - March 22, 2006 - Copyright