Sunday, March 26, 2006

Author: MICHAEL IRVIN BOSLEY

Author: Michael Irvin Bosley
Author’s website address: http://www.outskirtspress.com
Published books by the Author:
Trans-Light-Element ‘The Open Door’
Books in Process:
Trans-Light-Element ‘The Finnish Connection’

Interview:


1. When and why did you begin writing?

I actually began writing in my personal journal as a youth. During my Junior and Senior year of High School, I was part of a group of students who formed a ‘corporation’ that sold subscriptions to an authorized independent school newspaper. I wrote one of the articles in that paper. It was a project in one of our classes. Class members each invested a dollar in the newspaper and received token certificates of stock. When the project was over, we dissolved the ‘corporation’. We stockholders not only got our investment back, but earned an extra dollar from profits derived from subscription sales. I also entered an Inter-Scholastic League Essay Writing competition in which I was encouraged to continue writing. During these and subsequent writing exercises, I discovered an inner voice that found expression on the written page. Once so expressed, the voice could never be silenced – even if it were ignored, the statements would remain for anyone who cared to read them.

2. What inspired you to write your first book?

The fundamental inspiration for Trans-Light-Element arose in part from a personal conviction that major discoveries and great achievements usually resulted from the every-day labors of ordinary people. The world’s first reliable time piece was designed over the span of 4 decades by an obscure Englishman named John Harrison who taught himself how to build clocks while working quietly in his own humble little workshop. Orville and Wilber Wright built their own wind-tunnel in their bicycle shop where they plotted the world’s first true lift tables they used to design the wings of the world’s first aircraft. I can point to invention after invention in American history, each the result of ordinary people asking extraordinary questions; people who looked beyond the current resources and common understanding of their day to come to a new realization of the greater truth. While Trans-Light-Element is, at first glance, just a fantasy science fiction entertainment story; at heart, it is an expression of the power of all free persons to explore the universe from their own backyards, using what tools they can either acquire or manufacture using personal skills and resources. Trans-Light-Element is the spirit of free people everywhere to discover for themselves answers to life’s greatest questions.

3. How did you approach writing your first book?

While Trans-Light-Element ‘The Open Door’ is my first published book; I have to confess it is not my first attempt at writing or story telling. My approach to this work was developed over years of studying the art of writing – in particular, the manner in which words are employed in the English language to convey information and project mental images – images that remain crystal clear. In other words, any writer will probably agree that first the voice inside expresses the feeling of what one wishes to convey – then the mind reviews and revises, sometimes eliminating what tends to distract and confuse. The important thing to me is how does the prose sound and feel to both the audible and the mental ear? Does the conversation support the action? Do the characters act as they would in real life? Does the combined information flow help the reader feel as if he is present, almost a participant?

4. Who or what influenced your writing?

Every writer I have ever studied has left his or her mark upon my style; but, practice – repetition, and the desire to craft statements in natural settings – while employing the vocabulary of the topic in question – and, sometimes, just the desire to keep it simple and moving have left their hallmark upon the chambers of my inner voice. Do I always succeed? Of course not; but I must say the quest is the biggest influence upon my writing.

5. Why do you continue to write?

Once one begins a journey, there are two choices; turn back and forget it, or press forward until the journey is done. Writing, like life, is a journey that is never done until we, like Job, die, "being old and full of days." Job 42:17

6. What do you hope to accomplish through your writing?

If I am given the time and opportunity to finish the Trans-Light-Element project – I would hope it would become as popular among young readers as previous successful mystery adventure series in times past; entertaining, enlightening and instructive – and foremost, an example of the happy fruits of goodness. Also, every good story deserves the perfect ending.

7. What has been your experience as a published writer?

I have enjoyed the honest praise from those closest to me – whom I trust to be my most valuable critics, because they know me… and have nothing to gain one way or the other from sharing their personal impressions about my work. Knowing something I created has been recorded in the Library of Congress is another point of personal satisfaction. I suppose, if the world should sit up and take notice of this one little book cast upon the sea of thousands of new creations in our modern age of computer internet assisted publishing; I might relish the value of keeping the better part of my personal anonymity. Fame is not a great thing. However; to be recognized and respected among one’s peers is one of the grand rewards of any professional endeavor.

8. How do you promote your book(s)?

I am still developing a comprehensive marketing strategy. It has always been my hope that word of mouth, reader to reader would be the greatest promotion. I plan to engage the services of professionals, at length, to assist the general interested public become aware of Trans-Light-Element.

9. What advice would you like to share with other writers?

Listen to your inner voice, seek to always understand the truth, write only that which will uplift a neighbor – and never assume the book of knowledge is closed.

10. Any other comments you would like to add?

Thank you for listening.

Interviewer: Kaye Trout - March 26, 2006 - Copyright