Friday, March 17, 2006

Author: CHARLIE HUDSON

Author: Charlie Hudson
Author’s website address: http://charliehudson.net

Published books by the Author: Orchids in the Snow (Novel), Shades of Murder (Novel), The Parent’s Guide to Business Travel (Non-fiction), Shades of Truth (Novel)

Books in Process: Reef Wranglers, Artificial Reefs in the United States (Non-fiction), Shades of Gold (Novel)

Interview:
1. When and why did you begin writing?
I actually began with short stories and essays in about the sixth grade. I set writing aside for "real" work, joined the US Army for what turned into a career and had some articles published in 1992-1994. I retired in 1995 and set off on the path of freelance writing.

2. What inspired you to write your first book?
My truly wonderful husband brought home a copy of Writers’ Digest magazine with a lead story of "Beginning to Write When You’re Forty." He dropped it on the coffee table and said something like, "It’s time. Quit stalling and write your book."

3. How did you approach writing your first book?
Naively, although I followed the principle of "write what you know". Orchids in the Snow is a novel about a military wife and family during the early 1980s. That was a watershed time for military families when many of the unwritten, rather rigid social expectations for wives were being challenged. I wanted to capture that dynamic while simultaneously portraying what it’s like to be a military wife.

4. Who or what influenced your writing?
Probably my grandfather more than anyone. He wanted me to be a lawyer, but he also instilled a love of reading in me. He had this great library.

5. Why do you continue to write?
I think it’s a case of letting the genie out of the bottle. I kept it on the back burner for more than twenty years to "be practical" and worked hard to be at the stage where I can write and not have to worry about trying to support a family.

6. What do you hope to accomplish through your writing?
I would be less than honest if I claimed that I didn’t care about the great commercial breakthrough. On the other hand, I thoroughly enjoy the quiet successes of getting an email from someone I’ve never met telling me how much he or she liked a book of mine.

7. What has been your experience as a published writer?
A lot of frustration, punctuated by that great sensation when you hold a book in your hand with your name on it or when you have a chance to talk to readers.

8. How do you promote your book(s)?
I’ve used literary publicity agencies, I have my web site and I try to generate word-of-mouth through fans, friends and family.

9. What advice would you like to share with other writers?
Be honest with yourself, learn how to cope with rejection and persevere. By being honest, I mean, be honest about what you want to achieve. If you think you won’t be satisfied with anything less than the Best Seller category, you’re likely to be in for a lot of disappointment.

10. Any other comments you would like to add?
Only a very small percentage of writers make big money. As a writer, you really do have to decide if that’s the only measure you plan to use. Judith Applebaum writes a wonderful book with regular updates about How to Get Happily Published. I recommend it to anyone who is a beginning writer.

Interviewer: Kaye Trout - 3/17/2006 - Copyright