Monday, April 17, 2006

Author: DOUGH MURPHY

Author: Doug Murphy

Published books by the Author: The Griffon Trilogy: Part I (with Andrea Murphy) and Translator’s Kiss

Books in Process: The Griffon Trilogy: Parts II and III and Sexsomnia (book about parasomnias-note the recent news with respect to ambien on this subject- with Dr. Carlos Schenck and Andrea Murphy)

Welcome Doug,

Interview:

1. When and why did you begin writing?
I have wanted to write since my teen years because it is just something I liked to do. I liked playing with my imagination and telling stories in print and thought that perhaps I had a bit of the Irish storyteller in me. Nonfiction writing appeals to me as well.

2. What inspired you to write your first book?
My first book was partially written during college, and I actually threw it away because I thought it was too fantastic. The first book to be finished, however, was written through a desire to expose some dangers of the new biomedical technology and out of a love for books that were thrillers and mysteries.

3. How did you approach writing your first book?
I was told that all good writers start by writing an outline and by filling out the characters. For my books after the outline was done I hand wrote them and then typed them into my computer. I printed out a copy, read through and made notes and then typed in the changes. I repeated that process many times until I thought I had a finished product. Often though when I thought it was finished, it was not.

4. Who or what influenced your writing?
I like to study the successful techniques of other writers and even films and search through books trying to accomplish similar things. I am still searching for ways to bring a greater richness to the story and the characters. The more you write the more you know how to look.

5. Why do you continue to write?
I’m hooked. It is quite an exciting thing to do. I am continuously thinking of projects and ideas I would love to do.

6. What do you hope to accomplish through your writing?
On the one hand I would like to entertain the reader so that he or she is thoroughly engrossed in the story or information. I would like to create a world they can walk into and see the characters and surroundings and events and be thoroughly fascinated. On the other hand I like to, at times, layer in ideas and information to make readers think in novel ways.

7. What has been your experience as a published writer?
Some of the rewards have been completely unanticipated. It is a lot of fun to connect up with people that normally you would never encounter and have them react to things you have written.

8. How do you promote your book(s)?
Methods that I have used so far have included book signing parties, postcards (hundreds of them), classified ads, pay per click ads and word of mouth. Strangely enough the postcards have been the strongest method so far for me after the first rush of interest from friends and relatives.

9. What advice would you like to share with other writers?
I think the hardest thing is not to get discouraged since there is a lot to get through to get your book into print and then to promote it and have some measure of success. So perseverance is certainly important. I also think that for the most part authors should not rush to get their works out but polish them to the greatest extent possible before taking the next step. Usually when I think my book is done, it requires several more reedits.

Thanks for your time, Doug, and for sharing your experience with us.

Interviewer: Kaye Trout - April 17, 2006 - Copyright