Monday, April 03, 2006

Author: KEITH HUGHAN

Author: Keith Hughan

Author’s website address: www.ladcrooks.com

Published books by the Author: Straight from the Horse's Mouth

Books in Process: None at present

Welcome Keith,

Interview:

I must add, this was written on a Sunday morning after a night out. (Smiling away here!)

1. When and why did you begin writing?

I began writing in 2003. Ladbrokes, the bookmakers had contacted me.
They instructed me to write a book, showing how they disrupt people’s
lives, and how rules can be changed when it suits them.
How could I turn that down?


2. What inspired you to write your first book?

I wouldn’t say what, but who inspired! (Grinning) – Ladbrokes, and I thank them!

3. How did you approach writing your first book?

The outline of my book was buried in my head, start, middle and the end. I wish it was that easy! A list of events were put to paper first, I then put them in order to the dates they happened. Being that my book was nonfiction made it simpler. The hard part, well, was putting it all together so it flowed.

4. Who or what influenced your writing?

I can’t really say that any author did. When friends started reading what I had already written, and while they were chuckling, I thought, carry on writing as myself, the common man with no experience in using the English literature, to its full capacity. I may have written a book, but does that mean I am an accomplished writer? Friends, spell checker and the dictionary were the tools I used.

5. Why do you continue to write?

I have not written since, time and energy is needed in order to write. I must say though, the temptation is there. I have been told by many that I should write another book, and in the same style. It seems my common way of writing with humor injected into the menu could be my forte.

6. What do you hope to accomplish through your writing?

That’s easy to answer - £260,000 from Ladbrokes.

7. What has been your experience as a published writer?

Well I can tell you, fame and fortune does not come easy. Some fame to my name is rewarding, as for the fortune, I don’t think it will ever come, ha! The point in writing that book was to put a dent in Ladbrokes armour. Oh! I mustn’t forget the ladies seem to like it!

8. How do you promote your book(s)?

I got in touch with a local paper, and thankfully they ran a story. I also made up a website, this has definitely helped. The world is big and the www’s can reach anywhere! I also sent flyers all over the country to Ladbrokes shops, and still do. Spiteful, I know!

9. What advice would you like to share with other writers?

First of all, never give up. When you have the urge to write, then write. Never work on your book half heartedly, you will find yourself going over them chapters again and again.
Let as many people read it as you can before deciding to print it. Ask them for an honest opinion. Feedback is what I would call the most valuable tool to have!


10. Any other comments you would like to add?

I have to say here that the first edition of this book was printed at a cost to me. I had 500 printed and went from there. I didn’t even have an ISBN number. Bad move, because what was sold did not get registered, and we all like numbers when it comes to how many we have sold!

Thanks, Keith, for you time and good luck!

Interviewer: Kaye Trout - April 3, 2006 - Copyright