Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Author: VALERIE J. STEIMLE


Author’s website address: www.strengthenyourhome.com

Published books by the Author: Home Is Where the Heart Is; Home is Where the Learning Is; Homeschool Lifestyles from Homeschool Moms; Syndicated ezine column

Books in Process: Duck Creek, Children’s series

Welcome Valerie,

Interview:

1. When and why did you begin writing?
I began writing in a journal when I was 12. More serious writing started when I began to write to help a school district cause where we lived when I was 30. This school district was trying to switch to a year-round school system against the parents wishes. Writing has always been therapeutic for me when I’m in distress.

2. What inspired you to write your first book?
I really felt that the world was missing out on having close family relationships as it used to be. There are so many distractions in our culture that take us away from our families, I really felt the need to write about it so others can see what they were missing and change their life accordingly.

3. How did you approach writing your first book?
What I started with was a newspaper column. After writing about the school district experience we moved across country and I was able to start a column at the local paper called “Where The Heart Is”.

4. Who or what influenced your writing?
My first editor at the paper influenced what I wrote and then just watching the news on TV had a big influence on me. World events have an affect on everyone and I wrote how those events can influence the family.

5. Why do you continue to write?
I have become an advocate for the family. The world continues to move away from keeping the family intact so I continue to write. I also write about the homeschool world because so many parents are interested in teaching their own children.

6. What do you hope to accomplish through your writing?
Food for thought about how we can improve our relationships. Helping other people understand why it is important to try hard to make good choices in our families and to see a different perspective. I don’t expect to change the world, although that would be nice, but to help someone realize that divorce isn’t always the answer, the adverse affects of having an affair or cutting work hours to be home more. That is my hope.

7. What has been your experience as a published writer?
I’m not sure what you are asking here. Overall, my experiences as a published writer have been good. My books have been a positive force for others and I have had a lot of feedback on how my writing has helped others. That makes it all worth it.

8. How do you promote your book(s)?
By my book signings, my website, press releases, my ezine articles, magazine articles and word of mouth.

9. What advice would you like to share with other writers?
Never give up, never surrender to quitting. I have been doing this for 16 years and I have found a way to get published. I have had to raise 9 children while doing it and you just have to keep going. It takes time and persistence.

10. Any other comments you would like to add?
If you have a strong impression to write, no matter what it is, do it. Find a way to better your writing skills, find a way to get yourself out there and be published.

Thank you, Valerie, for sharing your time with us.


Interviewer: Kaye Trout - May 17, 2006 - Copyright